There is something about a great hot apple pie that just makes me eat the whole thing by myself. My all time favorite spice is cinnamon, that´s why I add a lot of it to my apple pie recipes. The combination of apples and cinnamon is one of the best and most delicious combinations there is.
This apple pie is a little piece of heaven. If you want to impress your guests or just say thanks to someone for helping you or being there for you, or even if you just want to bake somethign for fun, I would suggest you try out this recipe. The cake itself is very moist but also it is super fluffy and light. The apples should be a little bit sour as a contrast to the sweet batter and the sugar crumbs. The sour cream adds a sort of light creaminess that goes great with the crunchiness of the sugar crumbs on top. YAM!
This is what you need to bake this piece of heaven:
For the batter:
- 250g Butter
- 250g Sugar
- Vanilla extract
- 6 Eggs
- 300g Flour
- 2 teespoons baking powder
- 5-8 apples (depending on their size)
For the Sour Cream Mixture:
- 500g Sour Cream
- Lemon Zests
- 150g Sugar
For the Sugar Crumbs:
- 300g Flour
- 200g Sugar
- 180g Butter
- cinnamon (as much as you like)
How to prepare the cake:
- Preheat the oven to 180° celsius.
- Beat together the 250g butter with 250g sugar, salt and vanilla extract until its almost white in color and very very fluffy. This will take about 2-3 minutes.
- One by One add the eggs. It is very important to mix the eggs in one by one and always keep mixing until the egg is completely combined with the butter-sugar mixture before you add the next egg.
- In a seperate bowl sift together 300g of flour with the baking powder and gently fold it in the butter-sugar-egg mixture until it´s all combined.
- Spread it on a baking pan that was lined with parchment paper.
- Now peel the apple and cut them into small cubes. If you like you can pour a little bit of lemon juice over them for a better taste.
- Spread the apple on the batter and press them in a little.
- Pour just a little bit of brown sugar over the apple to get a bit of caramelizing going (optional).
- Now bake the cake for about 10 – 15 minutes until it just starts to brown.
- Take it back out and let it cool for a bit.
- During that time prepare the sour cream by putting the sugar and lemon zests into the sour cream, mix it and let it set a little.
- Prepare the crumbs by kneating together all the ingredients for the crumbs that are listed above.
- As soon as the cake is cool enough pour the sour cream on top and spread it evenly then sprinkle the crumbs over the sour cream and bake the cake for another 10 – 15 minutes. As soon as the crumbs are crunchy and teh cake looks golden brown – it is done.
- Take it out of the oven, let it cool for a bit and serve it with a nice whipped cream of vanilla ice cream.